Let's Take A Look At The Common Connection Methods
First, make sure what ports your monitor has. The most commonly seen interfaces are mini HDMI and USB Type-C port due to their slim port size. You might also find standard HDMI, mini DP, VGA or DVI in certain models.
1) HDMI connection
No matter mini HDMI or standard one, the connection step is the same:
First, connect the USB-C cable with the original charger. then connect USB-C port to the monitor's charging port. Last, power it up by plug in the wall charger.
- If you got a USB-A charger adapter, use the USB-C to USB-A cable
- If your monitor comes with a PD charger, then use the USB-C to USB-C Cable.
After connecting the power, connect the HDMI cable.
- If your monitor has a mini HDMI cable, you will find a mini HDMI to standard HDMI cable in the package. Mini HDMI plug in the monitor, standard HDMI plug in your device.
- If your monitor has a HDMI cable, you will surely have a standard HDMI to HDMI cable. Same plug it in the both devices.
If the display has a touch function, you need to connect an additional USB-A to USB-C cable, which you can also find in the accessories.
- Use the USB-C port to plug into the monitor's USB-C port, please don't mix it with the power input port.
- Connect the USB-A to your device.
2) One cable USB-C connection
This is the most convenient way to connect the monitor when your device has a full-function Type-C port.
When we say a full-function or full-feature Type-C port, we mean Thunderbolt 3 or later, or a Type-C port meets USB 3.1 protocol with both DisplayPort Alt Mode and PD power transfer, otherwise signal transmission is not possible. Normally, you will get a Thunderbolt 3 or later same as full-function Type-C port. But a USB 3.1 Type-C port might not support DisplayPort Alt Mode or PD power transfer. You can always check this with your service provider.
Due to the limited output power of some devices, like HP laptops, when using one cable Type-C connection, the monitor must supply with external power, or the monitor might not display normally, or keep restarting because of low power input.
3) Mini DP connection
You will find earlier Macbook and Surface laptops using mini DP ports. In this case, a monitor with mini DP port make you easier to connecting with a mini DP to mini DP cable. However, this cable is not include in the monitor accessories which need to purchase seperately. Instead, you can also use a male mini DP to female HDMI adapter to sort this out. For the connecting steps, please refer to HDMI connection.
Can I Connect The Monitor Via VGA Or DVI Port?
Yes, if your device has only VGA or DVI port, you need to use a male VGA or DVI to female HDMI adapter. In this way, your device will have an External HDMI port, connection steps refer to HDMI connection. For the adapter, kindly note that:
- male VGA, DVI to female HDMI interface needs to have an audio function, otherwise there will be only image after connection, no sound.
- Make sure the adapter is VGA or DVI output to HDMI, not HDMI output to VGA or DVI. Some adapter has only one-way transfer, means you can not have the transmission reverse.
There are several models have VGA and DVI ports which you can directly connect your device to the monitor via VGA to VGA or DVI to DVI cable. Check these models here.
If My Laptop Doesn't Have A Fully-featured Type-C Port, Can I Still Connect It Via Type-C?
No, when the Type-C port of the computer is not fully-featured (means it does not meet the USB3.1, DP Altmode, or PD protocol), signal transmission can only be done via other ports, such as HDMI, DVI or VGA port.
Can iPhone / iPad Connect Directly To The Monitor?
No, you need to use the screen mirroring adapter or cable when connecting with an iPhone or iPad. However, the new iPads with USB-C port do support one cable USB-C connection with the monitor.
How To Activate DeX Mode After Connecting Samsung Smartphone Through A Full-featured Type-C Port?
First, make sure your Samsung phone support DeX mode and the Type-C port is a Full-featured Type-C Port. You can check this on Samsung official website.
Normally, Samsung Dex mode will activate automatically when connect with a battery monitor or LapDock. However, some models might require to turn on the reverse charging function. In this case, simply find the reverse charging switch with a lightning symbol in the menu of the monitor or lapdock.
The Monitor Is Not Working With My Nintendo Switch?
When connecting Nintendo Switch to the monitor directly via Type-C cable, you need to use the original power adapter of Switch game console to charge the monitor, NOT the one comes with the monitor.
We recommend using HDMI connection to avoid USB-C cable disconnect when Switch moves around. Simply use the HDMI to HDMI cable connect the HDMI port of the Switch Base and the HDMI port of the monitor, then power up the monitor with the monitor charger.
Can I Use One Computer To Connect Two Monitors At The Same Time?
Sure, when your computer has two signal transmission interfaces (Full-feature Type-C or HDMI), two monitors can be connected at the same time, a total of three displays including the main monitor. You can change the display modes in computer display setting to have same or different contents shows up on each monitor. And also you can change the position to make all screens line up and shows in horizontal or vertical.
Can Two Devices Connect With One Monitor At The Same Time?
If you are talking about two devices using one monitor by turns, not at the same time, the answer is yes. Normally the monitor will equiped with a full-featured Type-C and a HDMI port, simply connect each port to your two devices. The signal source is usually switched by pressing the power-on key for a short time.
If you need two devices display at the same time with a split screen on one monitor, the answer is no.
Can I Charge The Monitor With A Power Bank?
Yes you can, here are some suggestions regarding different monitos:
- When connecting a 1080P monitor to a computer, a 5V 2A output power bank is enough.
- When connecting a 1080P monitor to a smartphone via one USB-C cable connection, a PD 30W power bank is required.
- For 4K monitors, no matter connected to smartphones or computers, need to use a PD 30W protocol power bank. The larger the capacity of the power bank, the longer the use time.